General Overview

Hi y'all!

This is going to act as a general overview post. Why did I make this blog? Mostly to keep my thoughts and observations organized.

I used to own a jeep, but the rising gas prices (and let's be honest, maintenance costs) have forced me to sell the jeep and become the owner of a late 2000s Corolla. It turns out, less roads are open to exploration when you own a sedan. I'm discovering that resources are somewhat sparse, not only in information on access roads but for basically everything about the less popular areas of New Mexico. Specifically, I want to examine public lands campgrounds and hiking spots and sometimes they are pretty hard to learn anything about outside of that they exist. There are places I want to visit that require 4WD, and for those I'll rent a car and report back.

There's a really thorough book out there called New Mexico Campgrounds: A Statewide Guide. Unfortunately, this was written in 2004 and between annual monsoon rains and wildfires, conditions and availability have changed drastically. My goal is to use this book as a guide and try to do a semi-systematic update. By semi-systematic, I mean, I won't be going in any particular order.

A few other solid resources I've discovered are from two hikers:

Devon at Southern New Mexico Explorer

Marty at New Mexico Meanders

Marty, in particular, does a good job of covering some other handy literature. As I discover more resources, I'll post them.

This is supposed to act as a resource to others who might want to explore but don't like to head into the dark without an idea of what they'll encounter. I'm trying to get as many resources as I can, from google reviews of a campground, to the forest service's website so that I can also share others' experiences as well as my own. I intend to make as many observations as I can and hopefully report them back here. I'm a geologist, and an educator. A lot of what I'm posting will likely revolve around the geology of an area and hopefully, it will be presented in a way that anybody can understand what I'm talking about.

I guess that's it for now. I'll clean this up later, once I'm at my own computer and can access my photos.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lincoln National Forest, Oak Grove Campground - 7/20-7/22/18

Quemado Lake: El Caso II Campground - 7/27-7/29/18